Guest article by Jason Lewis of Strong Well for Cherry Carson Church.
Throughout our lives, we rely on our connections with beloved friends and family members who support us, offer assistance, and provide encouragement every step of the way. Unfortunately, many seniors face the challenges of daily life without the comfort of nearby relatives. This is where church families can step in and make a positive impact on the community. By rallying together, church members can help local seniors navigate the intricacies of living alone. Here are tips and resources from Cherry Carson Church to help you get involved.
Offer Assistance with Financial Matters
By extending a supportive hand to seniors navigating financial matters, you can help seniors secure a worry-free financial future.
- Organize financial workshops at your church tailored specifically to seniors. Talk about budgeting, affording long-term care, and calculating potential home sale proceeds.
- Reach out to church members with financial expertise and encourage them to offer one-on-one financial guidance to seniors.
- Compile a list of local resources, government programs, and financial assistance options available specifically to seniors. Distribute these in the community.
Help with Stress Management
A caring community can have a profound impact on the stress levels of local seniors. By giving seniors impactful ways to relieve stress, we can create a haven where they feel a sense of belonging and security.
- Support seniors facing stressful decisions by helping them get clear on their priorities.
- Encourage seniors to explore creative outlets for stress like art, music, or writing.
- Plan outings or nature walks, providing seniors with the opportunity to immerse themselves in nature.
Encourage Seniors to Stay Connected
Our collective effort as a church family can help local seniors stay in touch with their long-distance loved ones and make new friends in the community.
- Offer technology tutoring sessions so seniors can connect with friends and loved ones who live far away.
- Encourage seniors to join clubs or groups where they can meet up and make new friends.
- Alternatively, encourage seniors to find a place of worship. Cherry Carson Church is always welcoming to new worshippers.
Provide Support with Medical Concerns
Community members can also lend a hand in the form of medical assistance, empowering seniors to feel safe living at home on their own for as long as possible.
- Help seniors set up and navigate telehealth appointments.
- Establish a regular wellness check-in program, where volunteers visit or call seniors to inquire about their well-being.
- Help them research different nursing homes if they feel this is something they need. You can begin by checking out reviews online to get a feeling for what each facility offers.
Church families have a lot to offer the seniors in our communities. By reaching out a hand to seniors living alone, you can provide relief from stress, help them stay socially connected, and assist with financial challenges. By working together, we can create a community where seniors feel supported and safe!
Photo credit Pixabay
Jason Lewis is a personal trainer by day. He specializes in helping seniors stay fit, healthy, and injury-free. To make this mission possible, he created Strong Well to be able to share his tips.
The views and opinions expressed in this article are strictly those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the Cherry Carson Assembly of God Church board.